Aveda Transportation and Energy Services Announces 2017 Results
CALGARY, Alberta, April 16, 2018 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Aveda Transportation and Energy Services Inc. (“Aveda” or the “Company”) (TSX-V:AVE), one of North America’s largest dedicated rig moving companies, is pleased to announce solid results for the three months and year ended December 31, 2017.
2017 Fourth Quarter Business Highlights
- Generated revenue for the three months ended December 31, 2017 of $53.1 million. Revenue in the fourth quarter of 2017 increased by $21.7 million or almost 70%, compared with revenue of $31.4 million for the same period in 2016;
- For the three months ended December 31, 2017, the Company reported gross profit before depreciation and amortization1 of $7.8 million. Gross profit excluding depreciation and amortization1 in the fourth quarter of 2017 increased by $3.1 million or 66% compared to $4.7 million in 2016;
- Generated Adjusted EBITDA1 of $3.6 million for the three months ended December 31, 2017. This amount of Adjusted EBITDA1 continues the strong performance the Company has experienced throughout fiscal 2017. Adjusted EBITDA1 in the fourth quarter of 2017 increased by $3.0 million or almost 500% compared to $0.6 million in the fourth quarter of 2016;
- Net loss for the three months ended December 31, 2017 decreased by $3.9 million to $2.2 million, compared to a net loss of $6.1 million for the same period in 2016. Loss per share was $0.04 compared to $0.32 in the comparative period; and
- Aveda ended the year with a net asset value per share6 of $0.60, $18.4 million in working capital with a current ratio of 1.6:1, and undrawn cash availability of $34.3 million on its senior debt facility.
Year Ended December 31, 2017 Business Highlights
- Generated record revenue for the year ended December 31, 2017 of almost $200.0 million. This is the most revenue that Aveda has ever reported in any year in the Company’s history. Revenue for 2017 increased by $126.3 million or 172%, compared with revenue of $73.3 million in 2016;
- Gross profit excluding depreciation and amortization1 in 2017 increased by $26.2 million to $33.5 million compared to $7.3 million in 2016;
- Reported Adjusted EBITDA1 of $15.9 million for the year ended December 31, 2017. Adjusted EBITDA1 in 2017 increased by almost $23.0 million compared to a loss of $6.9 million in 2016;
- Net loss for the year ended December 31, 2017 decreased by almost $24.0 million to $8.0 million, compared to a net loss of $31.8 million in 2016. Loss per share was $0.15 compared to $1.67 in the comparative period;
- Aveda expanded its operational footprint by opening terminals in Martins Ferry, OH and Midland, Texas in 2017;
- Aveda restructured its debt in the first quarter of 2017 as further outlined in this MD&A and in the news release dated January 13, 2017;
- The Company also raised gross proceeds of $22.9 million through an equity offering as outlined in the news release dated, February 22, 2017; and
- As a result of both successfully restructuring its debt and raising the equity outlined above, the Company now has a significantly stronger balance sheet.
“We’ve had a remarkable turnaround and continued our solid performance into the fourth quarter of 2017,” said Ronnie Witherspoon, President and Chief Executive Officer for Aveda. “We’re continuing to see rig count improvements in 2018. I’m excited about our prospects going forward. I once again want to thank our team for their tremendous contributions.”
|(in thousands, except per share and ratio amounts)|
|Gross profit (loss)1||17,791||(10,807||)||265||%||3,790||123||-2981||%|
|Gross profit1 excluding depreciation and amortization||33,459||7,273||360||%||7,783||4,696||66||%|
|Gross margin excluding depreciation and amortization5||17||%||10||%||N/A||15||%||15||%||N/A|
|Adjusted EBITDA (loss)1||15,937||(6,940||)||330||%||3,567||600||495||%|
|Adjusted EBITDA1 as a percentage of revenue||8||%||-9||%||N/A||7||%||2||%||N/A|
|Net loss as a percentage of revenue||-4||%||-43||%||N/A||-4||%||-20||%||N/A|
|Adjusted EBITDA (loss)1 per share||0.31||(0.36||)||186||%||0.06||0.03||100||%|
|Loss per share - basic and diluted||(0.15||)||(1.67||)||-91||%||(0.04||)||(0.32||)||-88||%|
|Debt to equity ratio3||2.1||4.1||-49||%||2.1||4.1||-49||%|
Aveda earns revenue primarily by providing specialized transportation services to companies engaged in the exploration, development and production of petroleum resources. As a result, demand for Aveda’s transportation services is generally linked to the economic conditions of the energy industry and the level of drilling activity in the US and the WCSB.
Relative to 2017, both oil and natural gas prices have rebounded and rig counts in both Canada and the United States have risen in the first quarter of 2018. Based both on general market enthusiasm with respect to commodity prices and discussions with Aveda’s customers, management expects 2018 to be an even stronger year in terms of drilling activity. Preliminary results for the first quarter of 2018 indicate that the Company expects to report revenue of $59.0 million to $60.5 million, Adjusted EBITDA1 of $4.4 million to $4.6 million and a net loss of $0.5 million to $1.0 million. During the first quarter of 2017, the Company generated revenue of $40.1 million, Adjusted EBITDA1 of $2.6 million and a net loss of $3.4 million. Using the first quarter of 2018 versus 2017 as a proxy, the Company expects activity levels to be robust. Accordingly, the Company is planning to invest $12.0 million in its capital program in 2018, with approximately $4.0 to $5.0 million allocated towards maintenance capital and the remainder towards purchasing and reengineering hoisting and revenue producing equipment.
Based on the information above, Aveda expects to see continued improvements in revenue, Adjusted EBITDA and net income results in 2018.
About Aveda Transportation and Energy Services
Aveda provides specialized transportation services and equipment required for the exploration, development and production of petroleum resources in the Western Canadian Sedimentary Basin and in the United States of America principally in and around the states of Texas, Pennsylvania, Oklahoma, Ohio and North Dakota. Aveda balances Performance, Safety and Value for our Customers through Leadership, Financial Discipline and Proper Planning, while providing a culture of Family for our employees. Aveda strives for a world where its operations improve the daily experience of our customers, our employees, and every person we meet on the road to success.
Aveda was incorporated in 1994 as a private company to serve the oil and gas industry. In the spring of 2006 the Company went public on the TSX Venture Exchange. Aveda has major operations in Leduc, AB, Edson, AB, Grande Prairie, AB, Pleasanton, TX, Midland, TX, Pecos, TX, Marshall, TX, Williston, ND, Williamsport, PA, Martins Ferry, OH and Oklahoma City, OK. Aveda is publicly traded on the TSX Venture Exchange under the symbol AVE. Aveda has 12 locations which cover North America’s most prolific oil and gas plays. The Company has almost 1,500 pieces of modern, well maintained equipment and employs approximately 610 team members. Aveda’s unique differentiator is our advanced operational and safety culture. For more information on Aveda please visit www.avedaenergy.com.
For more information, please contact:
Bharat Mahajan, CPA, CA
Vice President, Finance and Chief Financial Officer
This News Release contains certain forward-looking statements and forward-looking information (collectively referred to herein as "forward-looking statements") within the meaning of applicable Canadian securities laws. All statements other than statements of present or historical fact are forward-looking statements. Forward-looking statements are often, but not always, identified by the use of words such as "anticipate", "achieve", "could", "believe", "plan", "intend", "objective", "continuous", "ongoing", "estimate", "outlook", "expect", "may", "will", "project", "should" or similar words, including negatives thereof, suggesting future outcomes. In particular, this News Release contains forward-looking statements relating to: demand for the Company’s services and general industry activity level; the Company’s growth opportunities; and expectations regarding the Company’s revenue, EBITDA, Adjusted EBITDA and equipment utilization. Aveda believes the expectations reflected in such forward-looking statements are reasonable as of the date hereof but no assurance can be given that these expectations will prove to be correct and such forward-looking statements should not be unduly relied upon.
Various material factors and assumptions are typically applied in drawing conclusions or making the forecasts or projections set out in forward-looking statements. Those material factors and assumptions are based on information currently available to Aveda, including information obtained from third party industry analysts and other third party sources. In some instances, material assumptions and material factors are presented elsewhere in this News Release in connection with the forward-looking statements. Readers are cautioned that the following list of material factors and assumptions is not exhaustive. Specific material factors and assumptions include, but are not limited to:
- the performance of Aveda’s businesses, including current business and economic trends;
- oil and natural gas commodity prices and production levels;
- the effect of the rebranding on Aveda’s businesses;
- capital expenditure programs and other expenditures by Aveda and its customers:
- the ability of Aveda to retain and hire qualified personnel;
- the ability of Aveda to obtain parts, consumables, equipment, technology, and supplies in a timely manner to carry out its activities;
- the ability of Aveda to maintain good working relationships with key suppliers;
- the ability of Aveda to market its services successfully to existing and new customers;
- the ability of Aveda to obtain timely financing on acceptable terms;
- currency exchange and interest rates;
- risks associated with foreign operations;
- changes under governmental regulatory regimes and tax, environmental and other laws in Canada and the United States; and
- a stable competitive environment.
The forward-looking statements regarding Aveda's potential revenue, EBITDA and Adjusted EBITDA are included herein to provide readers with an understanding of Aveda's anticipated cash flow and Aveda's ability to fund its expenditures based on the assumptions described herein. Readers are cautioned that this information may not be appropriate for other purposes.
Forward-looking statements are not a guarantee of future performance and involve a number of risks and uncertainties, some of which are described herein. Such forward-looking statements necessarily involve known and unknown risks and uncertainties, which may cause Aveda’s actual performance and financial results in future periods to differ materially from any projections of future performance or results expressed or implied by such forward-looking statements. These risks and uncertainties include, but are not limited to, the risks identified in Aveda’s annual information form and management discussion and analysis for the year ended December 31, 2017 (the "MD&A"), which are available for viewing on SEDAR at www.sedar.com. Any forward-looking statements are made as of the date hereof and, except as required by law, Aveda assumes no obligation to publicly update or revise such statements to reflect new information, subsequent or otherwise.
This News Release contains the terms “EBITDA”, “Adjusted EBITDA”, “gross profit” “gross profit margin”, “gross profit excluding depreciation and amortization” and “gross margin excluding depreciation and amortization” which are defined in the MD&A. The above terms as presented do not have any standardized meanings prescribed by international financial reporting standards (“IFRS”) and therefore may not be comparable with the calculation of similar measures for other entities. Management uses EBITDA, Adjusted EBITDA, gross profit, gross profit margin, gross profit excluding depreciation and amortization, and gross margin excluding depreciation and amortization to analyze the operating performance of the business. These non-IFRS measures presented are not intended to represent cash provided by operating activities, net earnings or other measures of financial performance calculated in accordance with IFRS.
This News Release contains the terms "cash flow", "working capital" and "working capital ratio", which do not have any standardized meanings prescribed by IFRS and therefore may not be comparable with the calculation of similar measures for other entities. As an indicator of the Company's performance, cash flow should not be considered as an alternative to, or more meaningful than, net cash from operating activities as determined in accordance with IFRS. The Company considers cash flow to be a key measure as it demonstrates the Company's underlying ability to generate the cash necessary to fund operations and support activities related to its major assets. Cash flow is determined by adding back changes in non-cash operating working capital to cash from operating activities. Management calculates working capital as current assets less current liabilities and uses this measure to analyze operating performance and leverage.
(1) See MD&A Section 8.
(2) Current ratio calculated as current assets divided by current liabilities.
(3) Debt includes loans and borrowings and note payable as per their carrying amounts on the balance sheet.
(4) Gross margin is calculated as gross profit divided by revenue.
(5) Gross margin excluding depreciation and amortization is calculated by dividing gross profit excluding depreciation and amortization by revenue.
(6) Net asset value per share calculated by dividing total equity ($34.4 million) by common shares outstanding (57.4 million).
Neither TSX Venture Exchange nor its Regulation Services Provider (as that term is defined in the policies of the TSX Venture Exchange) accepts responsibility for the adequacy or accuracy of this release.
GlobeNewswire, a Nasdaq company, is one of the world's largest newswire distribution networks, specializing in the delivery of corporate press releases financial disclosures and multimedia content to the media, investment community, individual investors and the general public.
- Military Order of the Purple Heart Announces Suspension of its National Service Program
- Larson Electronics LLC Releases 3 Phase 3-Wire 150 Horsepower Variable Frequency Drive
- Akcea Therapeutics to Present Data on Inotersen for the Treatment of hATTR Amyloidosis at the 2018 American Academy of Neurology Annual Meeting
- The New 3 Week Diet Allows Dieters To Lose Weight Fast With Brian Flatt's Weight Loss Plan
- Mylan Presents Equivalence Data on Glatiramer Acetate Compared to Copaxone® at American Academy of Neurology 70th Annual Meeting
- Laborie Medical Technologies Announces Successful Completion of Tender Offer for Cogentix Medical, Inc.