HBO Brings Classic Novel to Life as Fahrenheit 451 Heats up Ontario’s Economy
TORONTO, ONTARIO, May 16, 2018 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Economic data released today shows the financial impact HBO’s upcoming Fahrenheit 451 had on the province of Ontario. Over the course of filming, the production hired 1,700 Canadian cast, crew, and extras, spending more than $9.6M on local wages.
Starring Michael B. Jordan, Michael Shannon, Sofia Boutella and Toronto’s Lilly Singh, the dystopian sci-fi adaptation was filmed in and around Toronto and Hamilton in 2017. While in Ontario, the production benefitted over 600 local vendors and businesses spending more than:
- $2.9 million on local rentals and set decoration, production and other supplies;
- $435,000 on transportation, including truck and car rentals;
- $405,000 on local catering and craft services;
- $285,000 on hotels; and
- $235,000 on local wardrobe, including dry cleaning.
"Our film, television and digital industry is an important economic driver for us in Toronto and it’s clear when you look at the economic impact of a production like HBO’s film adaptation of Fahrenheit 451,” said Mayor John Tory. “We have tremendous Toronto talent in front of and behind the camera. We will keep working with our industry partners like HBO so they have what they need to create jobs, attract talent and contribute to our economy."
“On behalf of the filmmakers and HBO, we sincerely appreciate the incredible support from Mayor Tory and everybody in Toronto who helped to make ‘Fahrenheit 451’ a success,” said Jay Roewe, HBO Senior Vice President, Production.
“The figures released today demonstrate how many talented local men and women working in front of and behind the camera, and a variety of local businesses benefit from a single production like HBO’s Fahrenheit 451,” said Wendy Noss, President, Motion Picture Association – Canada. “It is no wonder the vast majority of Ontarians believe that film and television production is a significant and growing part of Ontario’s economy.
Fahrenheit 451 will be released on May 19th.
*All figures calculated in Canadian dollars
The Motion Picture Association – Canada (MPA-Canada) serves as the voice and advocate of the major international producers and distributors of movies, home entertainment and television programming in Canada and is an affiliate of the Motion Picture Association of America, Inc. (MPAA). The motion picture studios we serve are: Walt Disney Studios Motion Pictures; Paramount Pictures Corporation; Sony Pictures Entertainment Inc.; Twentieth Century Fox Film Corporation; Universal City Studios LLC; and Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc.
Follow us on Twitter
Julie O'Driscoll Motion Picture Association - Canada 416-355-7459 firstname.lastname@example.org
GlobeNewswire, a Nasdaq company, is one of the world's largest newswire distribution networks, specializing in the delivery of corporate press releases financial disclosures and multimedia content to the media, investment community, individual investors and the general public.
- CSE New Listing - Aura Health Inc. Commences Trading on the Canadian Securities Exchange - Video News Alert on Investmentpitch.com
- InvestmentPitch Media Video Discusses FSD Pharma's New Cannabis Clinical Research Collaborative Program in Israel with R&D Partner SciCann Therapeutics - Video Available on Investmentpitch.com
- Petroteq Announces Engagement of Development Firm for PetroBLOQ
- NetworkNewsAudio Announces Audio Press Release (APR) on Lexaria Bioscience Offers Consumers and Investors Viable Alternative for Drug Delivery
- Nexstim OYJ (NXTMH-FI): Pivotal E-FIT trial results expected for late August
- Custodian REIT plc : Issue of equity